Thursday, July 30, 2009

Some Non-Professional Goals

I read a few books on CR to help me make the most of my time here. Here are a few of the things I'd like to do:
  • Learn to surf. Hopefully my limited experience snowboarding, skim boarding, and wake boarding will be a good starting foundation (those of you who have seen my many face-plants I know are skeptical:).
  • Volunteer with an NGO that helps fight child sex trafficking. This is a deplorable and growing industry due in part to more crack downs in Southeast Asia. An estimated 3,000 children are prostituted in San Jose.
  • Go Green. Thanks largely to a class my sister Molly took this summer and her books (like Living Green by Greg Horn) I have learned so many steps that I am going to take to make better and smarter choices that will promote sustainability and environmental health.
  • Visit four more Latin American countries. One of my life goals is to visit every country in Latin America. Belize, Panama, and Colombia are ones in proximity that I haven't visited yet. For the fourth one.... I'll surprise myself and see what opportunities arise.
  • Join a church. I haven't really been part of a church since Iglesia Cristo Rey in Santiago and kind of Sanctuary Covenant in Minneapolis. This time I'll make it a priority.
  • Take a course on tropical dendrology. Ideally the course would be in Spanish because I would like to gain some more language skills as well.

There are many places within Costa Rica that I plan to visit and many other adventure sports I would like to try. I'm open to ideas if you have any suggestions for me! I have a number of professional goals as well I'd like to accomplish at my new school. Those to come at a later post...

No comments:

Post a Comment