Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Surfer Chick..... or not so much

Surfing attempt number one consisted mostly of me either trying to make sure my swimsuit was intact when I emerged from the water (which most of the time it wasn't) or trying not to drown. I must say that I wasn't super successful. In my defense though I did not have any lessons and the water was very rough and the waves high for learning. I managed to get up a couple of times... but saying that I surfed is a little bit of a stretch.

Despite my failed attempts at surfing, the surf weekend was amazing! A Tica co-worker invited me to the beach with her and her friends. Her friends are complete surfer dudes by weekend, professionals by weekday. If you've seen the movie Blue Crush, in many ways it reminded me of that. We piled into a SUV with a bunch of surfboards strapped to the top. We cruised to the sounds of Latin jams for a couple hours and then piled out. They told me a couple tips, gave me a board, and then cut me loose as they went to catch some waves. After a full day of surfing (or in my case trying not to get tied up with my board cord), we stayed at her friend's house on the beach. It was simple and marvelous. Fede played the acoustic guitar and we sang Jack Johnson, etc. We smoked hookah, bathed in the pool, drank, played games, then danced all night on the deck to reggaetone while watching the sunrise over the ocean. The next day we hit the beach all day again. Sometimes I feel like I'm on a tropical paradise vacation. Then I remember: no, it's just the weekend and I live here! Pura Vida.

It was the first weekend getaway I had gone with all Ticos, hence the first weekend I spoke all Spanish. In all honesty, I don't use as much Spanish as you'd think! I teach in English and I get trapped in the English bubble because I hang out with many Americans and other Internationals. On Monday the janitor even noted that all the sudden I seemed to be speaking better and faster. More all Tico weekends are definitely in order.

This weekend is three days because of Columbus Day (how ironic that it's celebrated). So you guessed it, I'm heading to the beach again with the Tico surfer gang. This time to a beautiful beach in Guanacaste about six hours away. Can't wait! Hopefully surf weekend attempt number two is a little more graceful....



No comments:

Post a Comment